Sunday 5 August 2012

24 hours of silence

Last night, I woke up at 2:15 am. My mind was racing and I couldn't relax or get back to sleep.

At about 5:05 am, I decided that I would not speak a word today. I hoped that this might help to settle my "excited" mind.

The only other time that I had done this was 4 years ago at Heather Star Graham's weeklong yoga retreat in Mexico. At that time, we all took a vote as to whether we'd like 24 hours of silence. At that time, I was the lone vote against it. Being outvoted, I agreed to participate. Contrary to what I expected, I learned that it was surprisingly relaxing.

This morning, I told my travelling buddies that I wouldn't speak for 24 hours as a way to calm my mind. They, being advanced meditators, were completey supportive and welcomed this new twist in our daily routine.

Now, if you're in a yoga retreat and everyone else is silent, and you can hang around the pool all day, that's one thing. But being silent while doing active travelling is a different story. I've had some interesting insights.
  1. People in India are supportive of odd practices such as taking a vow of silence for one day.
    When Aleeta told the shopkeeper that I wasn't speaking today as a meditative practice, he looked me in the eye and, after a few hand gestures, gave me a deep discount on my wall hanging.
  2. I like to solve problems and I'm a natural leader; but with a vow of silence, I could do/be neither.
    When we got stranded today (our taxi driver did not show up and we were cooking under the hot sun, tired, hungry and needing a toilet). My travelling buddies brainstormed what to do. I just leaned back against the stone wall (covered in cow dung patties) and accepted that they would look after it. Aleeta's resourcefulness and broken Hindi helped us to get a ride on the back of a pickup truck. On the way to town, four more people joined us and we all jostled in the box together. It turned out to be a quintessential India experience. Bonus: we were dropped off one block from our hotel.
  3. I discovered that my contribution is not always necessary.
    Several times today I got a very strong urge to contribute to the conversation, but for obvious reasons, I could not. Instead of wild hand gestures and gesticulations, I just let the conversation unfold as it were. Decisions were made without my inupt, and I had to put off discussions until tomorrow. And nobody died without my input.
While it was a challenge to navigate the day without speaking, the experience showed me more about my own impulses and mind chatter than I was expecting. It was a great experience, one that I might duplicate when I'm back home.

Think about it, one day per month without speaking. Would you try it? 

7 comments:

  1. What a thought provoking post! Yes, I would definitely do it - just imagine, an entire day of silence. A good way to trust others, and to know that the world will keep turning, even when we are kind to ourselves and take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying ALL of your posts - however I think this one in particular has me really reflecting on how much we in North American society talk becuase we need to fill the space...and how much it interupts the epiphanies that come when we observe. We all want to help, we all want to be of value, we all want to contribute. But what if we sit back and are just present? Does it make us any less valuable? SO many great and juicy questions to marinate in. Thank you so much for sharing this one....
    I'm loving your journey Miss Al!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silence is profound and powerful! I would try it! wonder if I could get Logan (11 yr old nephew) to try it. Allyson thank you for sharing your amazing trip with us. I use the acronym W.A.I.T (Why Am I Talking) this used to hang on my wall I am going to find it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Allyson

    Belated Happy Birthday!!!!

    I'm so inspired by your day of silence and your whole trip.

    Thanks so much for posting this blog.

    John is very into Buddhist culture and I just went to the Buddhist exhibition at the Museum of Anthropology. So I'm learning more about the "things of which you speak". It's a delightful synchronicity.

    I hope your next travels are a wonderful adventure.

    Love,
    Salan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allyson,

    It's so nice to see updates. Glad you are safe, even if a little sick. :)

    Safe journeys!
    Hugs
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could go without speaking for a month ... but it's worth a try!!

    ReplyDelete