Monday 23 July 2012

Buddhist teachings (Updated)


In Leh, Geshe Tsultrim gave some teachings about Buddhism and meditation. He is the principal of the Jamyang school and he such a good teacher. He knows how to get to the basics without losing any of us. Some of us (me) are real newbies, while others have studied for years. But Geshe manages to teach to all of us equally.

He has the most beautific smile I've ever seen. He emanates goodness, compassion, kindness all wrapped up with a sense of humour. If anyone could give me faith, it's this man. We all feel that we learned a lot from him in a short time.

Geshe Tsultrim
In McLoadGanj (Dharmsala), we are being taught by Geshe Lobsang Darkpa, a sweet, kind and compassionate leader. He teaches on average of 5 hours a day to both lay people and monks. It is so incredible to be able to have these teachings--my knowledge of Buddism has risen exponentially. But just being close to these leaders affects my emotional state. It feels so good to just be near them.
Geshe Darkpa
I am so grateful to Tekla for organizing these teachings--it has made the trip so much richer than if I was simply a tourist in India shopping, gawking, being gawked at... :)

Updated
<<Old post: Tomorrow or the next day we will be receiving teachings from the Karmapa--the highest spiritual leader of the Kagyu lineage (the Dalai Lama is a different lineage). We are slated for a private audience with the Karmapa. I'll update this post with a picture as soon as possible.>>

New post: We did not have teachings with H.H. the Karmapa in McLeod Ganj. We did, however, attend two days of teachings from His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Leh, Ladakh. We joined about 50,000 Ladakians in the rain and hot sun to listen to HH the Dalai Lama speak. I was in people-watching heaven!

The first day, it was a bit hard to hear the translator and my hips were so cramped. I got up and walked around the fields, people watching. I didn't consciously absorb much of his teachings, but apparently that doesn't matter. Just being in his presence has an impact.

The second day, I left my camera at home and was in silence all day, and so was a bit more focused. I managed to sit in one location for the 4 hours. Having done yoga in the morning, so my hips were in much better condition. The Dalai Lama said many things, but what I remember most is that he encourages everyone to be skeptical, inquiring, and to not follow Buddhism blindly. This resonated with me as the whole month I've been asking questions and trying to figure out for myself what this all means to me.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama greeting the crowd of 50,000 before giving teachings in Leh, Ladakh

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful experiences! The love and compassion radiates in your photos.

    ReplyDelete