Friday 20 July 2012

First train ride in India

This post won't have any pictures because I was too terrified to pull out my camera.

It started with Tekla telling us at dinner time that the Delhi train station was the place to be really careful with our luggage. She suggested hiring porters not only to be in charge of our luggage (to reduce the chance of someone slashing our bags), but to help us find the correct train, carriage and berth.

Under a streetlight, at the edge of the train station, our Delhi man Suresh spent 15 minutes with the porters reading our tickets and striking a deal. As soon as the porters loaded our luggage onto a cart, the two porters proceeded to run to the train station. We had no choice but to run after them. We were all a little freaked out, but we managed to catch up to them. We had to hustle as it was 15 minutes until our train left.

At the bottom of a steep staircase, the porters stopped running and offloaded three of the suitcases (my knapsack included) and indicated that we were on our own with those. The other four suitcases they loaded on top of their heads (two each) and climbed the steep stairs onto the overpass.

I had my day pack on my front, and my knapsack on my back and I followed them. It was really hot because we had been running and climbing the stairs, and I was worried we were going to miss our train. Blood pressure was probably getting high.

I noticed that the overpass was crowded with groups of people playing cards, sleeping, people watching. I kept my knapsacks close by and tried to remember what I was seeing.

We got to the train, and the porters loaded everyone on. Unfortunately, I was in a different carriage than everyone, and the porters were more concerned with helping the people whose bags they had carried. Luckily a nice Delhi man said that he would help me to find my carriage.

I arrived at my berth and was told straight away by the family sitting on my berth that they converted the seats to beds at 10:00 pm. So I sat down next to the kids with my bags on my lap--just trying to calm myself. Turns out that the family was super friendly, helpful and generous. Part of the family was from Portland, Oregon and the other half from Delhi. They gave me lots of tips on how to travel by train and I was so grateful to them.

The ticket man came by and agreed to move me to the same carriage as my friends. I thanked the family and moved. I was so grateful to be placed above Gordon and Aleeta that I began to relax and enjoy myself. Aleeta and I explored the train a bit and she taught me how to use a squat toilet.

We settled down at 10 and I slept really well considering I thought that the train was going to topple over. (I'm the kind of person who imagines that when an airplane lands, the wings could touch the runway and topple over. Maybe I have "topple over" paranoia.) At any rate, we arrived safely at Patankot 45 minutes ahead of schedule at 6:00 am and were met by Migma, our guide for the Dharmsala portion of our trip.

All of my fears were unnecessary. So next train ride, I'm going to try and take some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I was holding my breath, reading this post, thinking about you running, not quite sure what is going on, and once again, you were able to do what you needed to do! Nothing will topple, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allyson, we never experienced anything like this is Italy did we? I have been following your blog with bated breath. Big hugs and big love to all of you. Dale

    ReplyDelete