Saturday 14 July 2012

Plane Trip to Leh, Ladakh

Now, we're off to Leh to begin the mediation tour. We leave for the airport at 6:00 in the morning--which is a blessing as there's not as much traffic.

At the airport there's a huge commotion: people are gathered around and screaming at a man. Is he a celebrity?  Pretty soon we figure out that he's an airport official. A flight to Sri Lanka got cancelled and they're letting him know how they feel--for at least an hour. (I have an audio clip of it, but haven't yet figured out how to upload audio on this blog. Anyone know how?)

Luckily, our flight isn't cancelled and we board only one hour behind schedule...into what looks like Dr. Who's space craft. White smoke is filling the cabin.


Turns out they're filling the cabin with oxygen.

We need the extra oxygen because we're heading into the Himalayas, up to 12,000 feet. The air pressure is lower so there's not as much oxygen transfer in your lungs. That's what lead to headaches, nausea, breathlessness--some of the things that I was nervous about on this trip.

I had hemmed and hawed about whether to take high altitude medication. I read blogs, read the prescription literature, asked people in the know. But when I read that you can feel that you are suffocating, that sealed the deal. I'm claustrophobic, so the thought of waking up at night gasping for air had me completely freaked out. I decided to order the medication Diamox. 

The day before, I had taken one of the pills. Ten minutes after taking it, I felt that every nerve in my body was short circuiting. I vowed then and there that I'd take the side effects of high altitude over this medication any day.

Anyway, back to the airport. 

We're all settled into the very clean, very modern plane and get ready for take off. We get the usual pre-flight safety announcement, but with one difference.

Canadian Airline Safety Announcement
GO Airlines Safety Announcement
"...if the air pressure changes, oxygen masks will descend from the overhead compartment. Put the mask on yourself first before helping others..." "...if the air pressure changes, oxygen masks will descend from the overhead compartment. Stop screaming and put on your mask..."

This has us laughing so hard we can't stop. Still makes me laugh.

My on-board drink is the absolute best juice I've ever tasted. But what's with the name?
WTF pomegranate and cherry juice

3 comments:

  1. Like the name of the juice! Love the difference for the pre-scripted announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you bring me back some of that juice??!!! :)
    - Gill

    ReplyDelete